Thursday, September 9, 2010

BOOTSTRAPS


My friend Mike P. posted a funny tweet yesterday asking "if anyone had some bootstraps he could borrow". I knew the question was rhetorical but of course I sarcastically replied that I thought the whole idea was for one to "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps". Well later on I got to thinking about that. The metaphor of 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' has been around for a long time, meaning to get better by one's "own unaided efforts". I agree whole-heartedly that I am the captain of my own ship - what, did I just use a navy analogy?! - and that I am responsible to work hard at being a better me.




But I also know that I am blessed to have a few people in my life that I can call on any time to help me pull up my bootstraps and/or to Mike's point, let me even borrow theirs if need be. Because there just are those times, circumstances, and challenges where my own efforts fall short and just aren't enough.




True friends are really hard to find, for me anyway. I count it a privilege to have those faithful few that I can count on no matter how badly I have screwed up, how egregious my mistake was, or if I just need a little hand with that last inch to get that "boot" up. Very grateful for the 'bootstrappers' in my life!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank God that "with God all things are possible", LOL!! 'Cause I can rarely pull up my own bootstraps, without screwing up the boot, anyway. ;)

    Matt. 19:26, Mark 9:23, Mark 10:27

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll tell ya one thing, I hate it when a pair of boots desperately needs bootstraps and the designer failed to include them. Ever try to stomp your feet into plastic alpine boots with eight pair of socks on when it's forty below, at midnight? Coulda used block-and-tackle bootstraps that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. Every now and then I could use some help pulling up my own bootstraps. Good point.

    ReplyDelete